Position Title: Production Manager
Full-Time, Immediate Start Date
Full benefits including health insurance, 401(K) matching
On-site in Brooklyn, NY; possibility of some days a week remote
About Hazel Village:
Hazel Village makes organic woodland animals, dolls, doll clothes and matching children’s clothes to inspire hours of immersive, low-tech play. The company partners with social enterprises around the world to make our products in ethical and sustainable ways. The company and the animals have the same core values: we are resourceful, clever, jolly, diligent, and gentle.
About the Position:
The Production Manager is responsible for creating and carrying out the plan to manufacture Hazel Village products. This includes sourcing materials and suppliers that meet our goals of ethical sourcing and sustainable practices. The production manager also works closely with the executive team to plan and develop the product calendar.
Production Planning & Sourcing
- Create production plan in collaboration with the Executive team based on inventory levels, sales forecasts, lead times for orders, and company budget constraints.
- Develop and implement product-sourcing strategies that support our design, while working to keep sourcing competitive.
- Work with the Design team to source and find organic and recycled materials.
- Advise team on the best location to make each product and reevaluate as needed
- Work with current factory base on product development, sampling, capacity building to meet the needs of our product line.
- Maintain communication with factories to make sure they meet the required deadlines and standards.
- Address quality issues in the sampling and production phase. Arrange for reworking, chargebacks, and re-negotiating, as required.
- Make sure that labeling requirements are being fulfilled.
- Carry out our compliance policy and keep abreast of changes in the legal requirements for our product categories.
- Arrange for the necessary 3rd party testing for materials and finished products.
- Create POs in the inventory software.
- Research, vet and negotiate with new factories as may become necessary.
- Monitor the business practices of suppliers and factories.
- Determine the need and schedule travel to existing factories and potential new factories.
- Assist the NY Production Manager with the schedule of small batch production. Help to prioritize what to make and when.
- Collaborate with the NY Production Manager to determine the best way for making new products.
- Attend weekly executive meetings, weekly team meetings and monthly production meetings.
- Track and monitor the calendar adherence with authority to report the gaps and make sure all functions follow their deadlines.
- Maintain a product line costing, working with factories and executive team to make sure margins are met.
- Communicate and keep the executive team updated on pricing and production timelines and potential issues.
- Monitor shipping charges and research cost effective options for shipping products internationally when needed.
- Maintain consistent, clear, direct, and respectful communication with all collaborators.
- 5+ years related experience.
- Ability to efficiently prioritize multiple tasks for department members.
- Must possess negotiation skills.
- Substantial knowledge of trade regulations, testing protocol, product integrity, production cycle timeline and fabric construction.
- Strong understanding of the product life cycle & business calendars
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Highly collaborative with cross functional partners
- Comfortable working in an hybrid environment - working in office several days a week (based on the needs of the business) with occasional remote work from home.
No job description of a position can possibly include all duties. Applicants should be aware that the job may change on a temporary or regular basis according to the needs of the business without it being specifically included in the job description.
How to Apply:
Send a resumé, cover letter, and two references to email@example.com.
In your cover letter please tell us what appeals to you about working at Hazel Village and which animal avatar you would pick for yourself.
Due to the level of responses we receive, we will not be following up with all applicants directly but if we feel you are a good fit, we will follow up within 7 days. Thank you for your application.