Director of Operations
Position Title: Director of Operations
Full-Time pending 90-day performance review, Immediate Start Date
Full benefits including health insurance
On-site in Brooklyn, NY; possibility of several days a week remote
About Hazel Village:
Hazel Village makes organic cotton woodland animals, dolls, doll clothes and matching children’s clothes to inspire hours of immersive, low-tech play. The company and the animals have the same core values: we are resourceful, clever, jolly, diligent, and gentle.
About the Position:
We’ve gotten pretty good at making cute things with an ethical supply chain; and marketing and selling the things online. Now we need someone to keep us organized. The ideal candidate has a proven track record managing operations (people, money, and inventory) at a small-to-medium business, and is excited to balance day-to-day execution with higher-level strategic improvements. The Director of Operations reports to the CEO and oversees the fulfillment team, the bookkeeping consultant, the inventory manager, and any future operations hires or consultants.
- Pay bills.
- Collect accounts receivable from limited number of wholesale customers with terms.
- Maintain copyright and trademark registrations.
- Troubleshoot issues with the physical office and utility services.
- Maintain stock of office supplies and packaging supplies.
- Point of contact with attorney when a contract or other legal document needs to be reviewed.
- Manage insurance, renew annually and request certificates when needed.
Manage inventory and fulfillment
- Develop and maintain a system of best practices for in-house assembly and fulfillment. Continually improve the system for better efficiency and quality.
- Hire, train, and schedule fulfillment workers to meet projected demand and get orders out the door on time, using internal resources (including yourself) as appropriate.
- Interface with shipping companies to troubleshoot, ensure pickups, and make sure we get the best rates.
- Work with Director of Production to interpret and follow routing guides for key account wholesale orders.
- Work with Inventory Manager to maintain accurate stock records in Shopify and Stitch.
- Run weekly staff meetings.
- Manage and run payroll.
- Manage benefits, including renewal period.
- Handle the paperwork and logistics for hiring, onboarding, scheduling, and terminations of employees.
- Maintain a task management system to make sure everyone stays on task.
- Assist CEO in addressing employee disputes.
- Keep employee handbook up to date.
- Maintain key financial documents, such as cash flow and revenue projections.
- Work with accountants and bookkeeper to file company taxes.
- Mark up monthly credit card statements to track expenses.
- Work with bookkeeper to reconcile finances each month, then schedule a meeting with investors and CEO to review.
- Assist CEO in setting long term goals and budgets.
- Maintain credit schedule and pay loans as appropriate.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent.
- 3+ years experience in operations.
- Demonstrated track record of success getting things done (involving people, money, and inventory) preferably at a small to medium company.
- Management and leadership experience.
- Ability to balance listening to the group with taking initiative.
- Good written communication skills.
- Good with math and spreadsheets; excited to use them to create and improve record-keeping systems.
- Knowledge of Quickbooks or ability to learn.
- Energized by the prospect of working at a growing business which values cooperation, flexibility, and self-direction.
- Bonuses: Knowledge of sewn products manufacturing, the children’s product industry, or Shopify.
No job description of a position can possibly include all duties. Applicants should be aware that the job may change on a temporary or regular basis according to the needs of the business without it being specifically included in the job description.
How to Apply:
Send a resumé, cover letter, and two references to email@example.com.
In your cover letter please tell us what appeals to you about working at Hazel Village and which animal avatar you would pick for yourself.
Due to the level of responses we receive, we will not be following up with all applicants directly but if we feel you are a good fit, we will follow up within 7 days. Thank you for your application.